Saturday 10 January 2009

The Very Beginning

Hello all who are reading this. I didn't really want to blog but a bunch of people have requested that I do. It will be a good way to remember my experiences as well I guess. Just DON'T judge me by my writing abilities. This blog will just be a collection of my thoughts and a description of what is going on with my life whilst over here in London. Yeah yeah did you like that British term there??? They use it all the time. I'll try to lump things together so this isn't so boring.

SO Let's start with the first 3 days upon my arrival. I got here Wednesday morning, the 7th of January. I flew from Chicago on Tuesday morning. I got to spend Monday night with my grandparents and mom in Downers Grove, IL which was really nice, however it made it harder saying goodbye the next morning. Oh, on the flight from O'hare to JFK, there was a group of high school teenagers going to Spain for a week. They were the most annoying people ever...just talking about how old and mature they were for being "seniors" and ruling their high school. They will soon get over that when they become fresh meat next year. When I got to JFK, I waited over 3 hours in a terminal with people who I thought I was going to London with, however everyone I met seemed to be headed to Edinburgh, Scotland. They all seemed really outgoing which to me is very intimidating and made me homesick even though I was still in the US. However, once I actually got seated on the flight, I was put next to some amazing people who were going to the University of Westminster with me. The flight itself wasn't so bad...only 6 and a half hours which is nothing compared to the Israel and Australia flights that I have experienced. I watched Mama Mia and talked with the people next to me.

After being herded out of the airport, since there was a fire alarm going off, we got to a coach that took us to our hotel. My first impressions of the city driving into Central London were...wow the sky really is grey. The Butler guy that was will us pointed out things along the way which was nice. We had free time that day until 5pm so a small group of us went for a walk and got kind of lost. We tried to stay up the whole time until dinner but none of us made it and ended up taking a small nap. Dinner was strange because we met the Butler staff in the lobby but they never really introduced themselves or talked to us. The food itself was good, my eating schedule was just way off so I couldn't eat much of it. It was at a traditional pub with fried mushrooms as appetizers, a meat pie as the main course with mashed potatoes, and then...no joke...the desert was called spotted dick. It was a cake-like thing with raisins in it, drenched in custard. It was in the same shape as the flan we had in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl for all of you HMBers reading this :)

That leads me to Thursday in which we had Butler orienation from I think 9-5 with an hour break for lunch. The Butler staff are all very nice and informative, but we were all exhausted by the end of the day. That night they took us to see Avenue Q, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew many of the songs from Anne playing them in our room last year. Before the play, Butler took us out to dinner at Wagamama which is a restaurant they have in Boston as well as all over the UK, but it was really good Japanese food.

Friday morning we all repacked and loaded 2 coaches to go to our dorms. I moved into my dorm which has just been redone this year. I have my very own airplane size bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. I didn't have any toilet paper however until I went out later that night...but 2 other girls that lived in the same dorm and I went to Argos. It is this amazing store filled with just catalogues. I got sheets, towels, pans, knives, silverware and a hairdryer with 2 or 3 trips over the next few days. I had some trouble getting the internet set up, but eventually did which was very nice since I hadn't seen a computer since I had left.

No comments:

Post a Comment